Published: 10 January 2014

Sydney Jones Library Café reopens

Sydney Jones Cafe reopens

You told us:

In the Sydney Jones Library you told us that the Library Café needed to be easier to access and use at busy times.

What we did:

The Library Café has now reopened following refurbishment work which took place over the Christmas break.

A new hatch has been added so that drinks to take-away can be purchased from inside the Library main atrium area.

The Café has also been redecorated and additional seating has been added to allow more customers to be accommodated during busy periods. An extra coffee machine is also being installed to speed up service.

To meet demand the Library Café has started opening later during examination times, and students are being encouraged to look out for new special offers on drinks and snacks over the next couple of months.

Have your say:

Have you used the Library Café? Your opinion is important to us so let us know what you think of the changes.

13 thoughts on “Sydney Jones Library Café reopens

1. Daniel

Now that the cafe is inaccessible out of hours – and there are no hot drinks vending machines – there’s nowhere to purchase hot drinks during the evening. Can the university please reinstall the coffee vending machine somewhere?

1. Joanna (Administrator) Post author

Thanks for your comment Daniel. A new vending machine is being installed next week so this should soon be resolved for you.

2. Ruki

The Café should have extended opening hours on weekdays and should also be opened on weekends. Would be greatly appreciated if these changes could come into action.
    Thank you

1. Joanna (Administrator) Post author

Thanks for your comment Ruki. At the moment the Café opens on Saturdays during special events and exam periods, but we will continue to monitor demand during the academic year to make sure the opening hours reflect users needs.

3. Jack

The Coffee machine is constantly out of beans in the evening. Another machine or refilling the current machine in the evening would be appreciated

1. Joanna (Administrator) Post author

Thanks for your comment Jack – I’ve passed it over to the library staff. Best regards, Jo

4. John

Can you provide me with the policy by which the Cafe requires customers to identify themselves as students ?

Thank you

1. Joanna (Administrator) Post author

Hi John,
      Thanks for your comment.
      Students are not subject to VAT on food purchases in an institute of learning so we have to identify whether our customers are student or non–student and ask for proof of this at the till point for VAT purposes.
      I hope that helps!
      Jo

5. John

Dear Ms Bishop

Thank you for your reply; are students asked for ID every time they go to the till point ?

Thank you

John

6. John

Hello Ms Bishop

I am still waiting for a reply to my last question

The reason I asked was because I get contradictory replies to my enquiry about checking ID procedure from the staff in the SJL café.

Thank you

John Davies

So my question is not why you do it but how you do it.

1. Joanna Brown Post author

Apologies for the delayed reply, John. We’ve been experiencing some technical issues with the site. I’m just checking the details for you and will come back to you asap.
      Best regards,
      Jo

7. John

Hello Ms Bishop

I am still waiting for a reply from my above message

I was told by one staff member that must show my ID every time but I noticed that the other were not. I have asked around and was told that none of them had been asked. Also I am a regular user of the Library and visit the café at one time every Wednesday.
    Other staff say that they do not need to ask for ID every time because they know the faces

It is not the money for food that concerns me but I believe I am being discriminated against

One staff member called me ‘young man’ which I was most impressed by; and did not ask for my ID;on the other hand another staff member keeps repeatedly asking for my ID and when I ask why they tell me it is because we have been told to
    By the way I do have an ID and at first did not mind showing [ Convocation] it and I asked her does that count and she said she did not know. But after so many times I got fed up with it.
    When did complain I was accused of being aggressive and she refused to serve me. I have not been to the café since .

I keep getting requests for donations from the Vice Chancellor for money -what should I tell her when we meet?

1. Joanna (Administrator) Post author

Dear John,

Many thanks for your patience.

I’m sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. I have escalated your complaint to the relevant team and I understand that both the Cafe Supervisor and the Campus Operations Supervisor are rolling out additional training for staff to ensure that they understand the procedures and maintain consistency for all of our customers.

Please be assured that it is certainly not our intention to make any of our customers feel like they are being discriminated against and I would like to apologise if you feel that has been the case.

The issue around the two-tier pricing system stems from HMRC tax requirements as students are not subject to VAT on food purchases in an institute of learning. We are in the process of moving to a new single tier pricing structure which should remove this issue but in the meantime, new notices will be placed at each till point to explain the current policy.

With best wishes,

Jo (Student Communications)