Published: 29 January 2014

Student named as finalist in national dental skills competition

School of Dentistry

A dentistry student from the University of Liverpool has won a place in the final of a UK-wide dental clinical skills competition.

Elgan Rees, 26, was shortlisted for the final, which will take place at The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd) on 6 March 2014, after taking first place in the Liverpool heat of the competition.

Organised by RCSEd and sponsored by DENTSPLY, the national dental competition is the first of its kind in the UK and tests the clinical skills of students from 14 of the UK’s top dental schools.

The overall prize the finalists will compete for is an expenses-paid trip to the Chicago Dental Society’s Midwinter Meeting in February 2015, courtesy of RCSEd’s Faculty of Dental Surgery.

Commenting on making it through to the final of the competition, Elgan Rees (pictured below)said: “I was very pleased and shocked to have made it through to the final. I went into the heat with the concept of nothing to lose, everything to gain. It was great to be able to get extra practice, use different equipment and overall it was a really enjoyable experience. I was surprised at how laidback and relaxed the atmosphere was, but I definitely used every minute available and could have probably used a few more!

Elgan Rees

“I’m sure that whichever career path I follow, having an association with this competition will definitely help my prospects.  It’s great to be affiliated with the RCSEd at this early stage in my career and the chance of winning a trip to Chicago is amazing, but I’m expecting the competition to be very tough!”

All participants in the competition will receive a certificate of participation and a year’s Affiliation with RCSEd.

For further information about the Dental Clinical Skills Competition please visit the website.

One thought on “Student named as finalist in national dental skills competition