Published: 28 March 2014

Residential Adviser opportunities available

Vine court

There are currently a number of opportunities for postgraduate and mature students interested in becoming Residential Advisers (RA) for Halls of Residence.

RAs are a team who live alongside students in halls of residence, providing support, guidance and vital contact during out of normal office hours.

Each RA works in a team led by a Warden, helping students with a range of issues, including coping with adjustment to university life and maintaining discipline in the halls.

When students arrive at halls, the RAs make contact and establish themselves as an approachable point of contact for enquiries, as well as acting as a liaison between students and staff.

Paul Rothwell, a member of staff in the Human Anatomy Resource Centre, has been an RA since September 2013 in Greenbank Derby and Rathbone Halls. He said: “I have particular students who I am responsible for, but I like to promote the student experience across the halls I live in, so anyone can come to me for help or advice.

“Being an RA has benefited me greatly, helping me develop my management and organisational skills in the working environment. The role can be sometimes challenging, but organising events and helping students get the most out of, what some would say, is their best year in university is well worth it.

“I believe that you definitely get out of it what you put in. As an active RA in halls, I am thoroughly enjoying it and looking to continue in the role for the next academic year. I would recommend anyone who is interested to give it ago.”

Providing the building blocks of their first experiences of living away from home, the RAs are the link for any questions from the new arrivals regarding halls, activities or the University itself.

For more information on how to become a Residential Advisor please visit the job vacancies website.

4.50 avg. rating (87% score) - 2 votes

News filter

Social Media

Like us on Facebook

More Social Media