Published: 18 June 2014

Exploring careers: Mark Moreau, Publishing

Stack of books

Communication Studies and Politics undergraduate and member of the School of the Arts (SOTA) Student Press Team, Gee Canning, has been discovering how Philosphy alumnus Mark Moreau progressed after graduation and how he got into publishing:

What does your job involve?

I have overall responsibility for a range of digital and print books, journals and serials in Emerald’s Education Research portfolio. I ensure that all publications publish to time, to budget and to a set level of profitability. I also have responsibility for acquiring and launching new products within the Educational Research portfolio.”

What did you get involved in at University which helped you to secure your job in publishing?

“I was treasurer for the Student Liberal Democrat Society and a member of the Philosophy Society.”

Did you have any work experience previous to your graduate job?

“I had a variety of paid and voluntary jobs at the University. Firstly as a Central Rooms Booking Administrator for Facilities Management, then as a Student Welfare Officer in two consecutive Laureate International summer schools, and then as a Student Caller for two years working on the University Alumni Fundraising campaigns. In addition, I volunteered at a local Oxfam bookshop and I helped raise funds for the MIND charity.”

What skills did you learn on the internship that helped you get into your chosen career?

“I learnt how to time and project manage and the importance of solid customer service. None of my previous positions related directly to my current role, but all the skills I learnt are applicable to what I currently do.”

Mark Moreau

Picture left shows Mark handing out a Literati Network Award to one of Emerald’s top authors at a conference in Switzerland.

How did your work experience help you get your current job?

“It showed employers that I have a ‘can do’ attitude and that I could be trusted to manage my own time and work effectively with minimal supervision. It also showed that I had a willingness to learn and develop new skills and push myself out of my comfort zone to explore new opportunities. Whilst working for Emerald Group Publishing, I have travelled across the globe to forge new relationships with academic communities and organisations.”

What is your advice for students looking to get into publishing?

“If you seize opportunities to develop new skills in paid or voluntary employment whilst also ensuring that you maintain high marks and gain the best possible degree classification, any employer will want to work with you.

“Employers such as Emerald also offer paid internship schemes which are perfect opportunities to see whether the industry is really for you. I would also recommend using tools such as LinkedIn to see if there are any Liverpool Alumni working in the industry you want to break into. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them and ask if they know of any opportunities you could apply for or even if they could just give you some pointers on your CV and work experience development. If any Liverpool undergraduate reached out to me, I would do my best to help them get some experience!”

By Gee Canning