Published: 1 July 2014

Inside the Victoria Gallery & Museum

Victoria Gallery & Museum

Masters student Laura Harris has been discovering what students at the University think of the Victoria Gallery & Museum (VG&M).  As part of her MA in Art, Aesthetics and Cultural Institutions, Laura has been working with VG&M Education Officer Kirsty Hall in the University’s original red brick Victoria building to find out what students think and encourage more engagement:

As a Masters student, work experience is a valuable part of my course. Getting into the Cultural and Arts sector is hugely competitive, and relevant experience is a central requirement for many jobs.

“Having a placement built into my studies is allowing me to gain hands-on knowledge for use in my future career, while also augmenting my academic work. Understanding how theory relates to practice is something only gleaned from the workplace and can create a richer conception of the arts.

“My one year course includes a ten-day placement with an arts organisation. It could be with a gallery, theatre, magazine, or, in my case, the University’s own museum and gallery. My placement at the VG&M, which contains the University’s art and heritage collections, has led me to develop a survey to gauge student engagement with their collections in an attempt to develop and encourage student interaction.

Victoria Gallery & Museum

“As I firmly believe in the importance of the arts, this process has encouraged me to critically think about how to pass on this passion to fellow students. The cultural offerings of Liverpool are both astounding and varied, from attractions like the VG&M to huge events like the Biennial; I think discovering these would be of interest to many Liverpool students.

“Over the past six years, the VG&M has worked hard, putting on countless exhibitions and events to attract a wide range of visitors who come to learn more about the University’s fascinating art and heritage collections and its history.

“It has developed strong links with numerous academic departments who contribute to the learning programmes, and attracted many student volunteers who support events and talk about their student experience. What we need now is to discover what would encourage more students to engage with the VG&M and find out how the VG&M can support them during their time at University.”

Have you ever wanted to know more about what goes on inside the University’s iconic red brick Victoria Building? To find out more and help us discover what you think please fill out this short survey and help shape the future of the VG&M. It will take less than 5 minutes to complete: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FSB7FNT