Published: 21 August 2014

Student scoops Irish Studies dissertation prize

George Huxley dissertation prize

A combined honours student has been awarded the George Huxley Annual Prize for Undergraduate Dissertation in Irish Studies.

August Graham, who graduated last month with a degree in History and Politics, took a number of Irish Studies modules as part of his studies. He has won the award for his dissertation project, which looked at LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) rights in the British Empire and Catholic Church.

In conjunction with his studies, August has been working for a translation firm as well as reporting for the St Helena Sentinel – a newspaper based on the Atlantic island where he will shortly be taking up residence on a graduate employment scheme.

Professor Marianne Elliott, Director of the Institute of Irish Studies, said: “We are very proud of August’s achievements. We all felt at the Institute that he was a very talented student and he has shown this in the quality of his final dissertation. Professor George Huxley set up the prize at the Institute some years ago and we are grateful for his continued support and encouragement to our undergraduates.”

Commenting on his prize, August said: “I feel honoured to have been awarded the George Huxley prize and am delighted all my hard work paid off. My time studying at the Institute of Irish Studies has been extremely rewarding. I am very grateful for the support and guidance of my peers and tutors here at the Institute which has led to me winning this great prize.”

Photograph shows (from left to right) Dr Diane Urquhart, Head of Department at the Institute of Irish Studies, August Graham, Professor George Huxley and Professor Marianne Elliott, Director of the Institute of Irish Studies.