Published: 31 October 2014

A grand welcome to Liverpool

Liverpool has a number of world-class universities, so it’s unsurprising that international students flock to our city in their thousands.

This week Liverpool laid out the red carpet to give our latest influx of global scholars a proper welcome.

Held at St Georges Hall on the 28 October 2014, Liverpool’s 3rd International Student Welcome event was bursting with Liverpool’s unique culture, sport, music and heritage.

The evening was organised by Marketing Liverpool, in partnership with Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool Hope University, University of Liverpool and Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts. It presented a selection of our city’s greatest brands and cultural attractions including Liverpool FC, Everton FC, Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar and the Cavern Club.

The event also featured a personal address from The Lord Mayor of Liverpool Councillor Erica Kemp, she said: “Liverpool has once again been recognised as one of the world’s friendliest cities so it makes sense that we hold this annual event to welcome our new international students. We’re very proud to have them with us.

“This event gives them a taste of Liverpool’s culture to thank them for enriching ours and they seem to be really enjoying themselves.”

New University of Liverpool Economics student Hongju Wang, from Guangzhou attended the event with several new friends, he said: “Liverpool is a beautiful city. I love the architecture, the history. There are so many great buildings here and the people are so friendly. It is so easy to make friends. I feel that I have already learned so much.

“I have met the Lord Mayor tonight and had my photo taken with Liverpool Football Club’s Trophy. I glad I chose to study here. Liverpool is an exciting place.”

For more information on studying in Liverpool visit www.itsliverpool.com/why-liverpool/liverpool-learns/