Published: 12 November 2014

MA students win funding competition

A group of nine University of Liverpool students have won Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) funding for their masters programmes through a competition run by the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.

The Faculty ran the masters competition to utilise available AHRC Block Grant Partnership funding, with priority given to those students who intend to undertake doctoral study after their masters programmes. Students in Archaeology, Communication and Media, English, History, Philosophy and Cultural Studies have been awarded AHRC funding as a result of this competition.

Hayley Meloy, Faculty PGR Development Coordinator in Humanities and Social Sciences, said: “As funding for masters programmes becomes increasingly scarce, this was an excellent opportunity to support postgraduate students in taking the next step in their academic careers. We hope to see many of these students continue onto doctoral research in their respective fields in the future.”

Maggie Matich was granted funding by the AHRC for her MA in the Department of Philosophy, commenting on the award, she said: “AHRC MA funding award has enabled me to continue studying Aesthetics, a topic which I first encountered during my undergraduate degree and with which I have been enamoured ever since. The Art, Aesthetics & Cultural Institutions MA combines my two greatest passions, Philosophy and the Arts, through discussions surrounding the definition of art, the aesthetic attitude and our appreciation of art.

“I am thoroughly enjoying exploring this area of philosophy more fully, as well as developing my ability to conduct philosophical enquiry and academic research. Following my MA, I hope to go on to study at doctoral level, as I would love to contribute to the fascinating body of philosophical literature surrounding art and aesthetics.”

This particular funding competition will not be repeated for the next academic year. However, funding for masters and PhD programmes for the academic year 2015/16 will be available through the AHRC North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership (NWCDTP). The deadline for applications is 13 February 2015. Please see the Guide for Applicants for more information.

For more information, including subject areas covered by these studentships, please visit the Faculty Postgraduate Studentship pages. For queries about eligibility or the applications process please contact hsspgr@liverpool.ac.uk.