Looking for advice on how to keep your house and belongings safe while you are away over Christmas?
Liverpool Student Homes (LSH) has compiled a checklist of things to remember before you head off for the festive season to ensure your property is not left vulnerable to burglary.
Amanda Kerr, Manager of LSH, said: “This is the time of year when burglars know there will be empty student houses around. But by taking a few simple precautions you can avoid making your house vulnerable while you are away.”
- If you are going home for Christmas, inform your landlord the dates when you will be going and returning, and if you know your neighbour well, let them know too
- Take valuables such as laptops, tablets and games consoles home with you rather than leave them in your house
- Make sure your burglar alarm is on and all your doors and windows are closed and locked
- If you have to leave valuables in Liverpool, get them moved to a trusted friend’s or relative’s so that they can keep an eye on them for you
- Programme your heating to come on for one hour a day, to stop the pipes from freezing.
LSH is a free, impartial service funded and endorsed by all three Liverpool universities and their respective students’ unions, to provide help with finding private accommodation and general housing advice.