Published: 23 November 2015

HIV screening and access to health services

Doctor writing

Student Health Services is holding HIV screening sessions over the next two weeks to coincide with World Aids Day on 1 December.

Students can attend the drop-in clinics at Student Health on campus on Monday, 23 November between 12:30pm and 1:30pm and Thursday, 3 December between 12:30pm and 2pm.

HIV is a virus which attacks the body’s immune system. Without medication, people with HIV can develop AIDS. The most common ways HIV is passed on are through having sex without a condom and sharing infected needles or syringes.

There is no known cure for HIV but treatment can keep the virus under control and the immune system healthy.

To access free, local sexual health advice and services such as free contraception, and testing and treatment of sexually shared infections, please ask at Student Health or visit

General health services for students

Health services for students are widely available on campus and in the city. Here’s a run-down of what you can access and where:

Register with a local GP

If you have moved to Liverpool for your studies you need to register with a local GP. This will be your main point of contact when you are ill or need support.

It is particularly important if you have a health condition such as asthma or diabetes, or require medication. Your new doctor will be able to liaise with your usual hospital consultant if necessary, and you will be able to continue to visit your home GP on a temporary basis during the holiday period.

If you live at any of the Halls of Residence or close to the University campus then you will be within the practice boundary for Brownlow Health which operates Student Health Services. Please visit the website for more information

For help identifying your local GP surgery, please visit

Walk-in centres

Walk-in centres are nurse-led services at sites across the city which provide treatment for minor illnesses and injuries and give confidential health advice. Their opening times vary and information can be found at No appointment is needed.

Out of hours GP service

For access to GP support and advice at the weekend please phone your GP practice number and you will be directed to the out of hours service. Keep a pen and paper handy to jot any information down.

Hospital accident and emergency departments

Hospital accident and emergency is for serious illness or accidents which need urgent treatment in hospital.

If you are unsure whether you need to visit hospital, please ring your GP practice or attend the walk-in centre for advice.


Your local pharmacist will offer consultations and provide advice and treatment for a range of minor illnesses.

All students are entitled to free prescriptions up to the age of 19 when statutory prescription prices will then apply. Please ask at reception in Student Health (building 502 on campus map) or the Student Health Advice Centre (SHAC) (at Carnatic Halls) for a HC1 form which may entitle you to free prescriptions after the age of 19.


To find an NHS dentist please contact HealthWatch on 03007777007.

For further Information about all health services for students at the University, please contact Brownlow Health on 0151 285 4578 or visit

3.67 avg. rating (75% score) - 3 votes

News filter

Social Media

Like us on Facebook

More Social Media