Published: 18 December 2015

Stay safe and healthy over Christmas

Doctor writing

Student Health Services is encouraging students to stay safe and healthy over the Christmas period.

Binge drinking in Liverpool causes more ill health than anywhere else in the country, but there are small changes that can be made to reduce your risk of problems both now and in the future.

Try having at least two alcohol free days each week, or cutting out the drinking while you’re getting ready for a night out. Alternating alcoholic drinks with a soft drink or water or switching to low alcoholic drinks can also make a big difference.

The maximum recommended daily units are 3-4 units per day for men (1 pint of strong lager) and 2-3 units per day for women (1 large glass of wine). Don’t save your daily units up for a big night out though!

General health services for students

Health services for students are widely available on campus and in the city. If you’re registered with Student Health in Liverpool but are going back home to spend time with friends and family over Christmas there are still some simple and effective ways you can access health advice.

Here’s a run-down of what you can access and where over the Christmas period:

Telephone or email the Student Health practice

Telephone and email consultations are available at Brownlow Health to discuss health related issues with our clinicians between the hours of 8am and 6.30pm. The doctor will access your health records to give you the most appropriate advice, and will document the email conversation in your records as with any other consultation.

Please note that whilst Student Health makes every effort to use secure e-mail, this cannot be considered a 100% secure form of communication, so you need consider this when revealing personal information.

We can’t provide appointment bookings or issue prescriptions through the email advice service but these can be accessed via the secure online services.


Your local pharmacist will offer consultations and provide advice and treatment for a range of minor illnesses.

All students are entitled to free prescriptions up to the age of 19 when statutory prescription prices will then apply. Please ask at reception in Student Health (building 502 on campus map) or the Student Health Advice Centre (SHAC) (at Carnatic Halls) for a HC1 form which may entitle you to free prescriptions after the age of 19.

Walk-in centres

Walk-in centres are nurse-led services at sites across the city which provide treatment for minor illnesses and injuries and give confidential health advice. Their opening times vary and information can be found at No appointment is needed.

NHS 111

111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It’s fast, easy and free. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you.

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

Local GP

If you do choose to see a GP in the place where you are spending the holidays, you may be seen by registering with them as a temporary resident only. This temporary GP should ask you to complete a GMS3 form so that when you return to Liverpool you can remain with your permanent GP.

Out of hours GP service

For access to GP support and advice at the weekend please phone your GP practice number and you will be directed to the out of hours service. Keep a pen and paper handy to jot any information down.

Hospital accident and emergency departments

Hospital accident and emergency is for serious illness or accidents which need urgent treatment in hospital.

If you are unsure whether you need to visit hospital, please ring your GP practice or attend the walk-in centre for advice.

Sexual health advice

To access free, local sexual health advice and services such as free contraception including Intra Uterine Devices (IUD) and emergency contraception or for information regarding sexually shared infections or pregnancy testing, please visit where you will find lots of useful information.

For further Information about all health services for students at the University, please contact Brownlow Health on 0151 285 4578 or visit

5.00 avg. rating (91% score) - 1 vote

News filter

Social Media

Like us on Facebook

More Social Media