Published: 2 December 2016

Student wins Methods Fair poster competition

Kerrie Mcgiveron

Kerrie Mcgiveron, a Masters student at the University, recently won first prize in the Manchester Methods Fair poster competition.

Kerrie, who is studying the Twentieth Century History MA, won the competition having created a research poster exploring the dynamics of the Big Flame group – a British far-left organisation who formed in 1970.

Talking about her success, Kerrie said: “I’m a mum to three young girls, an MA student and I have a part-time job here at the University. That means I am very busy juggling my time effectively. I put a lot of spare time into the poster and am thrilled to have won the competition.”

Despite stiff competition from a number of other students, Kerrie was awarded first prize for her poster and received £150 in book vouchers. Kerrie is planning to use her vouchers to buy a number of books on Marxism, Foucault, gender theory and women in protest.

The poster competition was organised as part of this year’s Manchester Methods Fair. The event explores research methodologies across the humanities. This year, a wide range of topics were considered, from data mining to gender inequality.

Explaining that the event was worthwhile, Kerrie said: “As an MA student, it was great to share my research. I loved being part of the conference and networking with other researchers and sharing knowledge about research methods and interests.

Kerrie Mcgiveron

“It was also important for me to share my work with my girls – Emily, Alice and Rosie. I like them to know that they can achieve anything they put their mind to.”

In the future, Kerrie hopes to complete a PhD project about the Big Flame group, exploring the regional variations within the organisation and examining the debate around Liverpool exceptionalism.

The Big Flame group

The Big Flame were a socialist feminist group who formed in 1970 as a radical newspaper. Originally founded in Liverpool, the group built a following and had branches in various other UK cities.

Kerrie Mcgiveron's Big Flame group posterTaking its name from The Big Flame – a play written by Ken Loach – the group produced a magazine as well as a journal called Revolutionary Socialism.

The Big Flame group also set up support groups for women, attended anti-fascist and anti-racist demonstrations and were involved in a number of strikes, including the Kirkby Rent Strike of 1972. The group disbanded in 1981, demoralised by neoliberal policies of Thatcher.