If you are going to leave your property this Christmas, Liverpool Student Homes (LSH) has compiled a checklist that will help you keep your home safe.
Amanda Kerr, Manager of LSH, said: “This is the time of year when burglars know there will be empty student houses around. But by taking a few simple precautions you can avoid making your house vulnerable while you are away.”
- If you are going home for Christmas, let your landlord know the date you will be going and the date you will be returning. If you know your neighbour well, let them know too.
- Take valuables such as laptops, tablets and games consoles home with you, rather than leaving them in your house.
- Make sure your burglar alarm is on and all your doors and windows are closed and locked.
- If you have to leave valuables in Liverpool, get them moved to a trusted friend’s or relative’s house so that they can keep an eye on them for you.
- Programme your heating to come on for one hour a day, to stop the pipes from freezing.
LSH is a free, impartial service funded and endorsed by four of Liverpool’s universities and their respective students’ unions. LSH provide help with finding private accommodation and general housing advice.