Published: 26 January 2017

GB success at Euro Cross Country Championships

Harriet Knowles-Jones

Recently Harriet Knowles-Jones, a first year medical student, took bronze in the women’s under 20 European Cross Country Championships in Sardinia.

Harriet, who is 18-years-old, completed the 4.06km race in 12:52, twenty four seconds faster than her equivalent time in 2015. Harriet’s individual result contributed to an overall Gold medal for Team GB.

Speaking about the event, Harriet said: “It was a fast, tough race. There was a bit of pressure on me because I medalled last year, but the pressure didn’t worry me because I knew I was up against a strong field. I thought medalling was a big ask. I only just managed to finish third. The girl in fourth was only one second behind me in the end.”

Harriet has now medalled in this competition for the past two years, collecting both a silver and bronze medal. Harriet is eligible to compete in this competition for one more year before hopefully competing in the senior championships – an event previously won by both Paula Radcliffe MBE and Mo Farah CBE.

Harriet will now focus on trying to medal in further competitions throughout 2017. “I want to try and medal at the Great Edinburgh Cross Country,” said Harriet. “It’s at the beginning of January and is a race between GB, USA and Europe. I’m also looking forward to BUCS (British Universities and College Sport) cross country because it’ll be a strong field. I’ve never raced there before so I’m excited to see where I can finish.”

Harriet is one of 32 elite athletes supported by Sport Liverpool. The scheme offers weekly strength and conditioning, sports psychology support, physiotherapy and a premium gym membership. The scheme is currently supporting 10 athletes representing their country across a number of sports. You can find out more about the scheme and our athletes here.

We wish all our athletes who are competing in 2017 the best of luck.

One thought on “GB success at Euro Cross Country Championships

1. The Library

We look forward to following her career and seeing her win lots of medals! Keep us up to date!