Published: 7 February 2017

My year at Virgin Media

Mark Rodmell Virgin Media

Mark Rodmell, a business studies student, has recently been nominated for a National Undergraduate Award having spent a year in industry at Virgin Media.

Here, Mark talks about his time at Virgin Media and the projects he worked on.

What did you do as an intern?

“I was involved in lots of different areas. I managed the company-wide marketing newsletter, worked on nurture campaigns, worked on the events plan, trained sales and created marketing content.

“One of my key roles was to work on the events plan, which maximised revenue and brand awareness. As part of this work I helped introduce a robust lead follow-up system that increased Virgin Media’s revenue significantly.”

Did you get to meet Richard Branson?

“I actually did get to meet Richard Branson. It was part of the Virgin Media Business Pitch to Rich competition. I also got to meet Tyra Banks.”

What was a typical day like as an intern at Virgin Media?

“Virgin Media is a flexible company so each day was really varied.  It wasn’t uncommon for me to be travelling and working in different offices. Sometimes I worked from home. A typical day at head office was jam-packed full of meetings and I’d also spend time working on each of the projects I was involved with.”

What was working for Virgin Media like?

“Everyone I worked with was really friendly and willing to support me.  People would happily sit down with me for five-minutes to explain their area and I found that really helpful.

“It’s also a fun place to work. On pay day, Virgin Media gave out pay day treats to staff. We got things like ice cream. Plus on Friday the fridges were stocked with beer.”

What surprised you about working at Virgin Media?

“From day one my manager trusted me with large complex tasks, which surprised me. It was great to see I was a valued member of the team from day one!”

I’m interested in applying to Virgin Media. Could you help?

“If anyone is looking to apply to Virgin Media, I’d be more than happy to help. Feel free to contact me on m.rodmell@student.liverpool.ac.uk.”

One thought on “My year at Virgin Media

1. Estelle

Congratulations…I am happy for you although i dont know you in person. All the best for the future.