Published: 21 February 2017

Student wins construction Grand Challenge competition

Hiu Chun Kam

Hiu Chun Kam, an undergraduate studying architecture, has won the 2017 Grand Challenge – a competition in which entrants share their ideas about how to improve the built environment industry.

Hiu Chun’s winning idea was to introduce an additional year to construction degrees. Hiu Chun hoped this would expose students to the complexities of working within multidisciplinary teams, consequently reducing waste and increasing efficiency within the industry.

Hiu Chun said: “I am extremely honoured to receive this award. The Grand Challenge has given me a unique opportunity and platform to develop my idea, which I hope can contribute to improving the industry.

“I would like to thank the team at COINS for this unforgettable and extremely valuable experience. It was also a pleasure to meet the other finalists, and hear about their inspiring ideas.”

Robert Brown, CEO of Construction Industry Solutions (COINS) – the organisation who organises Grand Challenge – said: “We were all very impressed with his creative and innovative idea which I’m sure will help improve the way we do things across the sector.”

For further information about the Grand Challenge, please visit the COINS website.

2 thoughts on “Student wins construction Grand Challenge competition