Published: 26 June 2017

My story: Living with mental illness

Dr Jenna Kenyani

Dr Jenna Kenyani from the Department of Molecular and Clinical Cancer Medicine is a cancer research scientist. Jenna also has three disabilities, Dyslexia, a short term memory problem and severe depression and anxiety.

In this 20 minute talk titled ‘The often unspoken truths about living with a Mental Illness’, Jenna shares her own personal thoughts and feelings of living with depression and anxiety, and her fears about her future career.

“I wanted to give this talk so that anyone suffering or who has suffered would know they are not alone, but I also did it so those who haven’t might start to understand what it is like to suffer and how hard it is. With more understanding I hope that it will lead to more help and support so those suffering no longer feel embarrassed or ashamed to talk and no longer have to suffer alone and in silence.”

Here to help

If you are a University of Liverpool student and you would like to speak to us about your mental health or a disability, please contact our Student Services team.

If you are a student at University of Liverpool in London and you would like to speak to us about your mental health or a disability, please contact our Student Experience Team by contacting the Helpdesk. You can contact the Helpdesk by telephone (on 020 7682 4646) or by emailing stuexldn@liverpool.ac.uk.

3 thoughts on “My story: Living with mental illness

1. jim

It took great courage for Dr Kenyani to give this talk. While it is understandable that many GP’s do not really understand mental health problem, it is appalling that, unfortunately, many are still quite willing to make judgements outside their specilalist subject area’s.

Reply
  2. James Parr

It was incredibly brave of Dr Kenyani to stand up and give this talk. I too have suffered from depression and anxiety for a number of years and, like Dr Kenyani, these disabilities have caused no end of problems to my studies even to the point that I have come perilously close to withdrawing from my course. I can fully relate to the feelings that Dr Kenyani has described as I too have found it extremely difficult to get out of bed or continually felt useless and tired resulting in me self-harming and thinking about doing something even worse. It is terrible to be afflicted with these disabilities but I am making (extremely slow!) progress in fighting them by attending regular counselling sessions at the University’s Counselling Service. It really does help to talk somebody about these feelings and thoughts. So my advice to anybody reading this that is struggling with depression and anxiety is to ask for help and talk to somebody about your problems.

Reply