Graduation is the culmination of many years of hard work during your time at University. It’s a chance to celebrate your achievements in your university career and to look back at the years you have spent in Liverpool.
We’re keen to make the day a special one, so read our dedicated checklist below to ensure your day runs smoothly.
Before the day:
- Double-check your ceremony schedule.
- Check out the guide to the ceremonial dress of the University of Liverpool so you know what colour hood to expect.
- Print out your gown order confirmation to bring with you on the day of your ceremony, so that your order can be processed quickly.
- Check out parking options if you are planning to drive. Please be aware that parking on campus will be extremely limited during the week of the graduation ceremonies.
The public multi-storey car park on Mount Pleasant is the largest nearby parking facility. See Liverpool City Council Parking for a list of city centre car parks and how much they charge. On campus, the following visitor car parks will be available for a small charge:
Bedford House Car Park – opposite the Cambridge pub
Mount Pleasant Car Park – accessed opposite the Metropolitan Cathedral
Brownlow Street Car Park – accessed from Pembroke Place
Peach Street Car Park – accessed from Brownlow Hill
- Abercromby Square Marquee and Screenings – Family members and friends of those graduating who are unable to attend the ceremonies at the Philharmonic may watch them live at the Graduation Marquee in Abercromby Square Gardens, the Georgian heart of campus, or in the Leggate Theatre, Victoria Gallery and Museum. Admission is free.
On the day:
- Make sure you arrive at Mountford Hall, Liverpool Guild of Students (building number 501 on the University Campus Map, Grid Ref: D6) to collect your gown and tickets at least one hour and 15 minutes before the commencement of your ceremony. For the exact collection times, please refer to the information sent to you by email about graduation.
- The following dress code is recommended:
Men: Dark suits, white shirt and tie. Mortar Boards should be worn throughout the proceedings.
Women: Dark skirts or trousers and white or light coloured blouses. Mortar Boards should be worn throughout the proceedings.
Footwear: You will be required to use stairs when being admitted to your degree, so suitable footwear should be worn.
- Official graduation day photographs and University merchandise will all be available in the Liverpool Guild of Students on the day of your graduation. The official University class rings, cufflinks and charms which will be available from the Eva & Eva stall in the Guild and online.
- Grad Fest – Hope Street is being transformed for Graduation Week. You’ll be able to enjoy discounts at some of Hope Street’s favourite restaurants and bars, take selfies with our graduation props and relax with your friends and family within this specially decorated area.
- Visit the Alumni team in the Guild of Students to pick up your alumni pin badge and get a photo of you and your friends in the graduation photo booth.
- Use our official hashtags to share and view everyone’s graduation content on social media: #LivUniGrad #Classof2017.
- You need to make sure you get to the Philharmonic Hall and are in your own seat (which will be clearly marked on your ticket) 45 minutes before the ceremony is due to begin. It’s important to check you are in the correct seat as, if not, you could be recorded as ‘absent’ and may not be admitted to your degree.
- When it is your turn to go on stage you will be directed by staff to the right-hand side of the stage in a continuous procession. Give your name to the officer at the foot of the steps and then follow their instructions to proceed onto the stage to collect your degree.
- You have graduated! Congratulations!
After your graduation:
- You’ll need to return your gown on the day of your ceremony to Mountford Hall no later than 7:00pm .
- All ceremonies will be available to view on webcast. You can also order a professional recording of your graduation ceremony from Achievement TV.
- Photographs of the moment you graduated will be available from Ede and Ravenscroft. To order photographs:
- Email Ede and Ravenscroft (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request your exclusive ceremony password. Please ensure you tell them your full name, institution and date/time of your degree ceremony.
- Log on to their website and choose your graduation ceremony.
- Enter your password and select your image from those listed. You are then able to order the number of prints you wish to.
- All undergraduate and postgraduate taught degree students graduating in July 2017 will receive a Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR). Your HEAR will be an electronic document and replaces the more traditional paper academic transcript or Diploma Supplement. At the graduation ceremony you will receive your award certificate. You will be emailed a PDF version of your HEAR one week after your graduation ceremony. Visit HEAR webpages for more information.
- Start making the most of our 200,000 strong alumni network via the dedicated Facebook page or by following the Twitter feed @LivUniAlumni and LinkedIn group. You can find out more about the benefits of being a Liverpool graduate, and register for the alumni community, via our Alumni website.