Published: 25 September 2017

Important health and vaccination information

Students campus

To keep you safe and healthy during your time at university, we’ve put together the following information about health services, sexual health, consent and vaccinations.

For additional information, please visit the Brownlow Health website or contact us on 0151 285 4578.

Register with a local GP

If you have moved to Liverpool for your studies you need to register with a local GP. This will be your main point of contact when you are ill or need support.

It is particularly important if you have a health condition such as asthma or diabetes, or require medication. Your new doctor will be able to liaise with your usual hospital consultant if necessary, and you will be able to continue to visit your home GP on a temporary basis during the holiday period.

If you live at any of the Halls of Residence or close to the University campus, then you will be within the practice boundary for Brownlow Health which operates Student Health Services.  You can register online via the Brownlow Health website.

For help identifying your local GP surgery, please visit the NHS website.

Sexual health and consent

To access free, local sexual health advice and services, such as free contraception, testing and treatment of sexually shared infections, please contact Student Health.

The University is committed to supporting students’ wellbeing through creating a safe, supportive and respectful campus community. A key part of establishing this environment is through active promotion of the importance of sexual consent.

For more information about consent, please watch the short video below:

For more information about our Safe and Welcoming Campus Environment project, which aims to tackle sexual assault, harassment and hate crime, please go to our web hub.


Students are being encouraged to get a meningitis vaccination (MenACWY) if they are under the age of 25 and started university this autumn. Students who did not get their vaccination last year are also being encouraged to get the vaccination by Public Health England (PHE).

The vaccination offers protection against meningitis (inflammation of the brain) and septicaemia (blood poisoning) and protects against four strains of the infection– MenA, MenC, MenW and MenY.

The programme has been developed in response to a rapidly growing increase in cases of MenW, one of the most aggressive and deadly strains.

Students are particularly at risk of meningitis and septicaemia because they mix closely with so many other students, some of whom are unknowingly carrying the bacteria.

Meningitis is comparatively rare, but it is important to be aware of the symptoms and be prepared to take urgent action whenever it is suspected as it can develop suddenly and progress rapidly.

The early symptoms include:

  • Sudden onset of high fever
  • Severe and worsening headache
  • Stiff neck
  • Vomiting
  • Joint and muscle pain
  • Dislike of bright lights
  • Very cold hands and feet
  • A rash that doesn’t fade when pressed with a glass

Students should be alert to the signs and symptoms and should not wait for a rash to develop before seeking medical attention urgently. Students are also encouraged to look out for their friends, particularly if they go to their room unwell.

Further general information about Meningitis may be obtained from the Meningitis Research Foundation. You can also contact the Meningitis Research Foundation helpline:  080 8800 3344 (24hr helpline).

To access the vaccination, please visit your GP or register with Student Health (Brownlow Health) and they will advise when and how you can get one.

Drop-in vaccination sessions are available on Tuesday, 26 September 4pm – 7pm at Herculaneum (Carnatic Halls) and on Wednesday, 27 September 5pm – 7pm at the Student Health Centre on campus.

Walk-in centres

Walk-in centres are nurse-led services at sites across the city that provide treatment for minor illnesses and injuries and give confidential health advice. Their opening times vary and information can be found via the NHS website. No appointment is needed.

Out of hours GP service

For access to GP support and advice at the weekend please phone your GP practice number and you will be directed to the out of hours service. Keep a pen and paper handy to jot any information down.

Hospital accident and emergency departments

Hospital Accident and Emergency (A&E) is for a serious illness or serious accident that needs urgent treatment in hospital.

If you are unsure whether you need to visit hospital, please ring your GP practice or attend the walk-in centre for advice. If you need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation, call the NHS 111 service.


Your local pharmacist will offer consultations and provide advice and treatment for a range of minor illnesses.

All students are entitled to free prescriptions up to the age of 19. After the age of 19, statutory prescription prices apply.

If you are entitled to free prescriptions after the age of 19, please complete an HC1 form. You can get a form online or request one from the reception at your GP practice.


To find an NHS dentist please contact Health Watch.

For up-to-date student health information, follow Brownlow Health on Twitter or like Brownlow Health on Facebook.

5.00 avg. rating (91% score) - 1 vote

News filter

Social Media

Like us on Facebook

More Social Media