Published: 8 December 2017

Student experience: Thinking about the consequences of your actions

Victoria Gallery and Museum

Last year, a student got into trouble after a night out.

In this article, that student has described the events to encourage others to think through the ramifications of their behaviour:

“Last January, I was still in my first year at the University. Since moving to Liverpool in September I had enjoyed every moment of university life. I had made loads of friends, and had been going out pretty much non-stop since freshers. I was loving my newfound freedom and was exploiting every second of it. I missed so many lectures because I would go out and feel too awful the next day to go in, but truth be told, I didn’t really care that much. I thought I could pretty much do whatever I wanted and I wouldn’t face any serious consequences. After just recently having a meeting with the board of discipline, I realise how wrong I was.

“One night in January, a load of my friends were planning on going out, I had about ten pounds to my name, but I decided that would be enough as I’d be with my friends, and not going out when everyone else was wasn’t really an option for me. After buying my drinks and getting a bus into town, I barely had any money left. I wasn’t really worried about getting back home, I thought that I could always share a taxi with my mates and pay them back later. However, I failed to think about what I would do if I lost them, and that’s exactly what happened.

“I got really drunk that night, but I remember sobering up in a club in Concert Square and having no idea where my mates were. On top of this, my phone was dead. I started to panic about how I would get home, and I decided my only course of action would be to get a taxi and to run without paying once I was home. I felt guilty the whole ride back, but I justified my actions by telling myself there was nothing else I could do.

“After I had ran, I became involved in a chase with the security team at Carnatic, and eventually I was caught by one of the team members. I’m not a violent person, but in my panic at being grabbed, combined with the intensity of the situation and the alcohol, I took a swing at him. By the time I had been calmed down by the members of the security team I realised that I’d gotten myself into a lot of trouble.

“It took a while before I heard anything else about it, as I later found out, the investigating team had issues collecting statements from everyone involved. By the time I had a date for my hearing with the board of discipline, I was starting my second year of university. Since January, I like to think that I’ve matured a lot. Taking a £10 taxi home then running without paying is no different to grabbing a £10 note out of someone’s hand and running; it’s stealing. While I thought I had no other choice but to run from a taxi, it was my choice to go out without any realistic plan of getting home had I lost my friends, and I should have prepared for that.

“I was extremely lucky not to have my studies terminated for my actions, and I deeply regret them now. I can only urge newcomers to Liverpool and the University not to make the mistakes that I did, and to think through the ramifications that your actions could have.”

One thought on “Student experience: Thinking about the consequences of your actions

1. Nemo

Did not see it coming I must admit, that you’d run from a taxi to avoid paying the fare.
    Another option would have been explaining your situation to a kind bus driver, which there are many in Liverpool.
    Walking home is another option, I guess this will depend on how far away it is.
    Some courses would not have taken the situation so lightly, but it’s great you learnt your lessons and thanks for sharing your experience.

Reply