A sponsorship programme which gives PhD students and their supervisors the chance to spend three to 12 months at higher education institutions in China or the UK has opened.
The UK-China Joint Research and Innovation Partnership Fund PhD placement programme is delivered by the British Council China and the China Scholarship Council on behalf of the UK’s Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and China’s Ministry of Education.
The sponsorship opportunity, which is open to UK and Chinese PhD students and their supervisors, will focus on research areas that reflect the common interests and demands of both countries, including:
- Health and life sciences
- Food and water security
- Environmental technologie
- Education and creative economy for economic development and social welfare
The PhD placement programme aims to promote the research capacity of PhD students, build institutional exchanges and collaborations that benefit future students, and strengthen links in research and innovation, as well as:
- Developing individual capacity through international training and development opportunities
- Cultivating highly trained researchers with international experience who are able to contribute to research and innovation, and generate economic and social benefits for both countries
- Encouraging participation of PhD students in international intellectual networks, building cultural understanding and fostering long-term sustainable research collaborations
- Encouraging development of international joint training pathways
- Raising awareness of the UK’s and China’s research strengths
The application process closes at 12:00 pm GMT on 20 September 2018.
This opportunity is open to UK and Chinese nationals who are currently enrolled, as PhD students, at accredited higher education institutions or research institutions in the UK or China respectively. UK students studying for their PhDs at institutions in China and Chinese students studying for their PhDs at institutions in the UK are not eligible.
On the UK side, applications will be considered from all UK institutions with a strong research record in the agreed fields. Host universities in China must be eligible to admit international students. For a list of Chinese universities eligible to admit international students, please visit http://www.campuschina.org/universities/index.html.
Applicants must hold either a UK passport or passports from countries that have diplomatic relations with China.
How to apply
Please refer to the ‘Call Guidelines (for UK applicants)’ here for a detailed introduction to the programme and application process, the evaluation criteria, and funding arrangements.
Any enquiries about the UK-China Joint Research and Innovation Partnership Fund can also be sent to email@example.com .
For further information, please visit the website at: https://www.britishcouncil.cn/en/programmes/education/higher/opportunities/phd